This Unique Building Had Unique Problems:
The American Heritage Center is the University of Wyoming’s repository of manuscripts collections, rare books, and the university archives.
This uniquely shaped building’s metal roof has had water mitigation problems for years and is scheduled for replacement. This would require removing and re-installing the skylights at the new roof elevation.
- The existing skylights were not in any condition to re-use.
- The design for supporting new skylights within the openings was inadequate.
- All skylights are wedge-shaped and of different sizes.
- Some of the skylights are very narrow—requiring minimal structural elements in order to maximize glass area.
- Prefabrication of the skylight retrofit is not an option for two reasons—this facility must remain open to the public and time constraints could not be met.
Using our own MAGS BAR System and our crew of specialists we were able to:
- Provide shops and engineering for the contractor and architect.
- Mount the framework outside the opening—more glazing and better daylighting.
- Provide a nearly flush mount glazing extrusion in a custom color and finish to match the metal roofing material.
- Meet the time constraints—product is in stock. Site built fabrication allows us to coordinate with the new roof construction.
- Keep the openings weatherproof and safe to the public below during the skylight retrofit.
Product Used for the Skylight Retrofit:
- SKYLIGHT FRAME:
- 70% Kynar Black Finish.
- Solarban 60 Solar Control, Low-E Glass.
- Heat strengthened, laminated.
- U-Value= 0.25 SHGC= 0.39 Visible Light= 72%.
Results of the Skylight Retrofit :
- This building stores some very old and precious artifacts that are irreplaceable. Providing a long term solution and replacing the existing roof and skylights without damaging these items was key to a successful project.
- Correct daylighting and solar heat levels required for the space—increased energy savings.
- Healthy, natural daylight in the space with accurate color rendition.
- No required maintenance or re-coating costs—individual glass panels are easily replaced.
- Provide a leak-free skylight with no worry of mold or damage to interior property.