When It Comes To Skylight Repair It’s Expertise That Counts.
The Embassy Suites Denver – Southeast hotel has an impressive central gathering space with daylighting being provided by two large ridge lights that run parallel to each other. The courtyard provides great quality light to the main floor and to all the rooms that encircle the day-lit space.
Roofers failed at skylight repair.
The skylights developed leaks many years ago when a foam roof was applied to replace the worn out existing roof. The unintended and unfortunate result was the roof level was raised by several inches. This buried the weep holes of the skylight. The skylights drained the water as designed, but now it drained under the new roof. This created obvious problems—leaks.
What We Did:
Our most recent skylight repair was to replace a broken piece of glass. This job was completed in January of 2014.
Skylight Specialists, Inc. in the late 1980’s provided consultation which resulted in a skylight repair. The skylights were repaired by preventing water penetration into the weep channels and by sloping the gutters to the outside.
- We sealed all glazing caps by spanning from glass to glass with neoprene rubber. This is not a preferred method of repair. The only alternative was to disassemble the skylights, raise the curbs and re-install above the roof line as originally designed.
- We also sloped the gutters to the perimeter using Styrofoam wedges and new aluminum flashing.
- This repair has lasted over twenty years. Again, because of the professional installation.
There are many aspects to performing a skylight installation properly, including using the proper materials. But proper, professional installation is key.
When it comes to skylight repair or correcting an improper skylight installation, it’s expertise that counts. The ability to define the problem AND come up with the solution.
- Neoprene flashing.
- 1/4″ CL TEMP AIR (SIL) over 1/4″ CLEAR HS LAMI 3/4″ BT
- By not having to replace the skylight, the skylight repair saved the hotel hundreds of thousands of dollars. Even to reset the skylights. would have cost ten’s of thousands.
- The savings in reduced maintenance and interior repairs from the properly repaired skylight is significant.
- No required maintenance or re-coating costs.
- In retail environments, increased daylighting has been shown to increase sales by as much as 40%.
- Reduced the chance of structural damage from water mitigation.