Upgrading an Obsolete Acrylic Barrel Vault with a Skylight Retrofit
The rebirth of Foothills Mall will fulfill a long-awaited desire in Fort Collins for a new inspiring place to come together and enjoy today’s Colorado. The goal of the Foothills redevelopment is to return the mall and surrounding area to its former status as a cultural and economic magnet for the surrounding community and broader northern Colorado region.
One of largest planned retail developments in the country, the project will attract new investment, retail spending and jobs that declined dramatically in recent decades.
An onsite inspection was made August 3rd 2010 by Skylight Specialists Inc. Represented by Rob Packard. A subsequent inspection was performed on 10/20/11 by Danny Packard.
The rebirth actually began when General Growth Properties asked us to provide a skylight retrofit. We would replace a few of the acrylic skylights with new polycarbonate skylights manufactured by CPI Daylighting.
What We Did:
- Removed the existing acrylic curb mount skylights
- Replaced with new low-rise barrel vault skylight retrofits
- Performed work when the mall was closed in the mornings. Little disruption for the tenants or the public.
- CPI Daylighting low-rise barrel vault skylights with vertical ends.
- CPI Daylighting’s advanced translucent glazing technology ensured that the building envelope was covered by an insulated translucent panel system that provides unequaled durability and daylighting performance. It supplies all the daylight desired without glare and avoids unwanted solar heat gain.
- Provided fall protection for these skylights by replacing the acrylic with polycarbonate skylights.
- Provided skylights that no longer leak or need maintenance.
- Correct daylighting and solar heat levels required for the space—increased energy savings
- Healthy, natural daylight in the space with soft translucent light and accurate color rendition
- No required maintenance or re-coating costs—individual exterior panels are easily replaced.
- In retail environments, increased daylighting has been shown to increase sales by as much as 40%.