High-Altitude Army Aviation Training Site (HAATS) Uses Natural Daylighting
HAATS located in Gypsum, Colorado, comprises an aviation training facility that includes administration, training classrooms, flight operations, maintenance hangars for Chinook helicopters, allied maintenance shops, and 32 lodging rooms.
Run by full-time Colorado Army National Guard pilots, HAATS is specifically designed to train military pilots from any branch in the military. The school can handle over a dozen student-pilots at any one time.
Maintenance Hangar Wall Lights Installation
Designers of the structure wanted to give the repair technicians plenty of natural daylight to perform their maintenance duties. They also had to provide large openings equipped with sliding doors to allow access for the helicopters. The unique design incorporated light weight, translucent polycarbonate panels built into the massive doors and three walls of the structure. The wall lights installation helped achieve an LEED Silver rating.
Exterior facades of the facility are a combination of stone, glazing, translucent panels, pre-cast concrete panels, and metal panel systems. Also, the building grounds incorporate stone and flora native to Colorado to display the state’s unique aesthetics.
What We Did:
- By using translucent nano-cell panels from CPI Daylighting the facility has a tremendous amount of natural daylight coming into the structure. This allows for a huge reduction in energy costs.
- CPI Daylighting Quadwall® Nano-Cell Structured polycarbonate panel system
- CPI Daylighting’s advanced translucent glazing technology ensured that the building envelope was covered by an insulated translucent panel system that provides unequaled durability and daylighting performance, supplies all the daylight desired without glare and avoids unwanted solar heat gain.
- Correct daylighting and solar heat levels required for the space—increased energy savings
- Healthy, natural daylight in the space with soft translucent light and accurate color rendition
- No required maintenance or re-coating costs—individual exterior panels are easily replaced.
- In work environments, increased daylighting has been shown to increase productivity