Replacing Over-sized Skylights with Custom Skylights.
Lighthouse Natural Stone offers a wide variety of stone products for new build or remodel projects.
The building had two 8′ x 10′ dome skylights that needed replacement with a custom skylight and a barrel vault that needed maintenance.
Many years ago skylight manufacturers of acrylic domed skylights were able to create large one-piece domed skylights. Acrylic producers had the product available and the domes met the building codes at that time.
However, times have changed. Codes have changed. Acrylic manufacturers no longer make the acrylic that allowed skylight manufacturers to create 10′ x 10′ skylights. This creates a problem with what to replace the skylight with.
The Solution is Not a Tandem Skylight.
An obvious solution is to divide the skylight into halves and replace the one-piece skylight with a two-piece skylight. These are called tandem skylights and can be made with acrylic. However, they are more expensive.
And we know from experience that tandem skylights, especially in cluster configurations, have long term watertight issues.
A MAGS BAR Custom Skylight Solves the Problem.
The solution is our MAGS BAR glazing system. Why?
- The product provides a long term weather tight skylight.
- It is readily available with no wait times for production.
- Any type of glazing material can be used with the system.
- The cost is lower than tandem skylights.
- (2) 8×10 MAGS Bar Custom Skylight replacements.
- 25 mm 5 wall polycarbonate glazing. Color: Opal.
- Dow Corning 795 silicone structural sealant.
- (1) Barrel Vault skylight 5′ x 90′. Wet Sealed ONLY.
- The light from the translucent glazing is diffused and even, creating better quality light.
- The polycarbonate has a higher U-Value, which reduces heat loss in the winter.
- The interior space is warmer and a more inviting and pleasing.
- Increase the facility’s property value.
- Healthy, natural daylight in the space with soft translucent light and accurate color rendition.
- No required maintenance or re-coating costs—individual exterior panels are easily replaced.
- In work environments, increased daylighting has been shown to increase productivity.
- In retail environments, increased daylighting has been shown to increase sales by as much as 40%.