Utilizing Daylight In Warehousing with a Skylight Installation
Known as an innovator of protective solutions for smartphones, cameras and other handheld devices, OtterBox is located in one of the greatest cities in America – Fort Collins, CO.
Innovation extends to the state of the art corporate headquarters. Some of its features include: an interior slide, bike storage and maintenance room, massage room, a 400-gallon saltwater fish tank, over 150 built-in flat screen televisions!
An expansion of a warehouse and budget restrictions made the lighting of the new expansion a challenge. Unit skylights were added to the scope to lessen the electrical lighting requirements. The existing warehouse had only a few skylights and the small size offered little daylight into the structure.
What We Did:
- Installed larger 4′ x 8′ self flashed skylights.
- Installed on-site built wood nailers
- Cut existing metal roof deck
- Supply & Install (31) Self flashed Acralight Skylights
- The use and location of the Acralight Sky-Tough translucent unit skylights allowed the recommended light transmittance into the building structure. The skylight installation will allow for minimal electrical lighting during the daytime hours as the owner and designer had wanted.
- Correct daylighting and solar heat levels required for the space—increased energy savings
- Healthy, natural daylight in the space with soft translucent light and accurate color rendition
- In work environments, increased daylighting has been shown to increase productivity