Skylight Retrofit of Old Acrylic Skylights
This home, located in Aspen, CO originally had an octagon tear-drop style acrylic dome skylight as a central focus of the home. The skylight leaked and had dirt and debris between the domes. The skylight retrofit resulted in a new 16′ glass skylight.
The above work was completed in 2007 and in 2013 we returned to add a new skylight to the new addition being built.
What We Did:
- Our skylight retrofit drastically changed the appearance of the home. The new look was modern and sleek, built with tinted glass instead of dated acrylic.
- The new frame is slim in style and has a dark bronze finish which adds to the modern look.
- Both skylights are octagon in shape, but one is smaller in size than the other. The larger skylight has three bays up the slope and the smaller has just one.
- Both skylights were the same manufacturer, which we feel is very important. The customer had the same contractor, and the same skylight manufacturer. Consistency does have value!
- We were able to remove the existing skylight, assist the contractor in installing retrofit work to the curbs, and set the new skylight frame and glazing in one day.
- All flashing and glazing was warrantied by us so the general contractor didn’t have to worry about honoring the leak proof warranty.
- Wasco Octagonal Pyramid Pinnacle 350 System. 10’4″ flat to flat dimension 4:12 pitch one bay per face.
- Wasco Octagonal Pyramid Pinnacle 350 System. 16′-0″ flat to flat dimension 4:12 pitch three bay per face.
- Finish: Standard Kynar paint.
- Glazing: 1 1/16″ IG; 1/4″ tinted tempered Low E over 5/16″ clear HS Laminated.
- Pinnacle 350: supports spans up to 18′ wide. 3.5″ aluminum rafter tube depth.
- Beautiful, modern skylights with an awesome sky view!.
- Consistent product and contractor, even though seven years elapsed between the two projects.
- Correct the daylighting and solar heat levels required for the space.
- Reduce dependence on electric lighting—increase energy savings.
- The owners love the energy savings provided by the new skylights.
- Increase the facility’s property value.
- Healthy, natural daylight in the space with accurate color rendition.
- No required maintenance or re-coating costs.