Lighting Interior Spaces with Tubular Skylights
SparkFun Electronics, Inc. is an electronics retailer in Boulder, Colorado. It manufactures and sells microcontroller development boards and breakout boards.
SparkFun’s products and resources are designed to make the world of electronics more accessible to the average person. In addition to products, Sparkfun offers classes and online tutorials designed to help educate individuals in the wonderful world of embedded electronics.
What We Did:
- We consulted with the owner prior to building design and discussed how we could help with installing skylights in the new building being designed.
- Two different types of skylights were designed:
- Self-flashed unit skylights
- Tubular Skylights
- The preferred method of installation is to have the skylight contractor cut out the steel deck, install rim boards to the height of the planned insulation and then install the skylights over the hole. The reason for this process is because our men are tied off during the work to prevent accidental falls and no one else is allowed on the roof during this time. No other protection is required to be installed around the holes during the time the deck is cut open until the time the skylight is set. This saves time and money for the contractor while still keeping personnel safe.
- Supply and install eleven American Skylights clear over white dome skylights.
- Five Velux TCR 14 Curb Mount SUN TUNNEL tubular skylights.
- Natural daylighting is supplied into the spaces as needed. Not too much and not too little. The light gets into the areas it needs to be.
- The installation was done on time to insure the roofers would not be held up during their stocking and installing of the roof.
- Tubular skylights can bring daylight into interior spaces, such as offices with a grid ceiling.
- Correct the daylighting and solar heat levels required for the space.
- Reduce dependence on electric lighting—increase energy savings.
- Increase the facility’s property value.
- Healthy, natural daylight in the space with soft translucent light and accurate color rendition.
- In work environments, increased daylighting has been shown to increase productivity.