Southwest Plaza Shopping Mall Skylights Replacement
Southwest Plaza is an enclosed shopping mall located in unincorporated Jefferson County, Colorado, immediately south of Denver. The mall, opened in 1982, has two levels with over 150 stores and a food court. Anchor stores include Dillard’s, JC Penney, Macy’s, Sears, and Dick’s Sporting Goods.
An onsite inspection was made April 1, 2010 by Skylight Specialists, Inc, represented by Rob Packard and Tom Ring. Skylights of concern were 16 ea. low profile vaulted skylights and 2 ea. Structural ridge lights at various locations on the roof of the mall.
Skylight Specialists, Inc. has performed many projects through the years for this mall that is located within 7 miles from our front door, including shopping mall skylights replacement.
What We Did:
- Replaced three barrel vault skylights with new low-rise acrylic barrel vault skylights.
- The close proximity of the shopping mall skylights to each other required us to remove the skylights and temporarily cover with plywood. This solved two problems, one is that we had limited time to have the skylights open to the interior and two because the skylights were close enough that we needed a space to be able to work from.
- Wet sealed structural glass ridge skylight.
- Wasco Low Rise Barrel Vault Skylights
- The shopping mall skylights replacement work was performed while the mall was closed in the mornings.
- Skylights let in more light, blocked more heat in the summer and are watertight.
- Correct the daylighting and solar heat levels required for the space.
- Reduce dependence on electric lighting—increase energy savings.
- The owners love the energy savings provided by the new skylights.
- Increase the facility’s property value.
- Healthy, natural daylight in the space with soft translucent light and accurate color rendition.
- No required maintenance or re-coating costs—individual exterior panels are easily replaced.
- In work environments, increased daylighting has been shown to increase productivity.
- In retail environments, increased daylighting has been shown to increase sales by as much as 40%.