Mall Skylight Survey and Consultation
West Valley Mall is a shopping mall in Tracy, California, that opened in 1995. Anchor stores include JC Penney, Target, Macy’s, and Sears.
An onsite skylight survey and inspection was made on August 26th 2011 by Skylight Specialists, Inc. Represented by Rob Packard.
Skylights of concern were all the glass skylights on the site:
- (2 ea.) Structural Pyramid Glass Skylights. 18’ x 18’ nominal.
- (1 ea.) Structural Ridge Glass Skylights. 20’ x 72’ nominal.
(1 ea.) Structural Ridge Glass Skylights. 20’ x 96’ nominal.
(1 ea.) Structural Ridge Glass Skylights. 20’ x 108’ nominal.
(2 ea.) Structural Ridge Glass Skylights. 20’ x 144’ nominal.
(1 ea.) Structural Ridge Glass Skylights. 26’ x 40’ nominal.
What Our Skylight Survey Found:
- All skylights are exhibiting round blotches on the inside of outboard lite. This glass failure appears to be in the Low E coating. The Low E Coating can react this way when moisture gets between the panes. The glass is 16 years old and beyond its warranty period. A film has been applied to the inboard lite surface. The operations manager reported the blotching was showing up prior to the film being applied and has increased more and more every year.
- Several glass units are also exhibiting signs of moisture penetration in the glass units. At the time of this inspection only 3-4 were actively exhibiting signs. It has been reported that many more units exhibit failures at either different times of the day or day of the week, depending upon weather conditions.
- Replace all of the glass in all of the skylights with solar heat blocking Low E glazing. The glass units can be replaced in phases, but should not include partial skylights in any phase.