How Do You Get a Skylight Replacement Onto The Top of a 23-Story Penthouse?
Use a MAGS BAR Skylight!
This particular project had a very unique problem which could have been solved with more money. However, our solution — a MAGS BAR skylight — certainly was a less expensive decision.
Our customer lives on the top floor of a high rise and had an old acrylic sectional-domed skylight as you can see in the pictures. One requirement by the owner was a clear sky view instead of the wavy look of acrylic or the obstructed view of translucent glazing.
The obvious solution is to replace the skylight since the old one was so outdated and unsightly with the skylight glazing split into thirds. Unfortunately the elevator for the building was not large enough to hold a new unit skylight.
A crane would incur several expenses:
- Working on a weekend when traffic was reduced. Overtime for ALL crews involved.
- Pulling permits and hiring a company to put up barricades and block off the street.
- A crane large enough to reach the top of the roof would require a number of trucks and people to setup and tear down the crane. A very expensive crane!
Solution: High Rise MAGS BAR Replacement
- We simply removed the old skylight and cut it into smaller pieces for easy transport down the elevator.
- We raised the curb on one side to create a pitch.
- We installed the counter-flashing around the curb.
- We installed the custom-cut and thermally broken MAGS BAR Glazing System over the re-built curb and set the two pieces of glass that were easily transported up the elevator.
- We set the glass on top of the neoprene gasketed bars and capped the glass. The glass can be easily replaced in the future when needed without having to replace the MAGS BAR again.
This is a non-structural, all aluminum, glazing bar with neoprene gaskets. It allows for the simple installation of glazing on any structure and with any design.
- Glazing: High performance tempered over laminate glass for safety and ultra-violet blockage. This created a very usable space directly under the skylight.
- All the work was completed in one day.
- Our work did not require any roofing work, saving time and money.
- The condo now had a more modern and stylish look.
- Definitely raised the value of the space, based upon the visual differences alone.
- Reduced costs from the more energy efficient product.
- The transformation from acrylic to glass skylight was very dramatic.