City of Louisville Creates A Sustainable Facility Benchmarked Against The LEED Silver Equivalent.
The City of Louisville Public Works, Parks and Open Space, Streets, Facilities Maintenance, and Fleet Maintenance was operating from tight quarters for the last 35 years in a facility that was designed to last 25 years. A decision was made to pursue a new site in the nearby Colorado Technology Center (CTC).
Bryan Construction is conducting extensive site improvements to accommodate the 100-year flood plain. The project includes a new shop and administrative building of approximately 38,000 square feet, designed to service all city vehicles.
The new site is able to accommodate the City’s needs far into the future. However, the design of the facility had to meet the stringent design standards and guidelines of the CTC – A Sustainable Facility benchmarked against the LEED Silver equivalent.
A sophisticated daylighting system utilizing occupancy sensors and photo sensors is being designed to introduce copious amounts of health-promoting daylight into the facility while reducing the building’s dependence on electric lighting. In addition to complementing the facility’s daylighting system, the lighting technologies are being designed to meet strict energy-efficiency, lighting quality, and maintenance requirements.
The user-friendly building automation system will integrate lighting and HVAC scheduling and control functions to streamline building oversight for operations staff.
Our Part of the Project:
Skylight Specialists, Inc. was called upon to supply and install the thirteen polycarbonate wall-lights manufactured by CPI Daylighting.
The wall-lights are equivalent to clerestories—reducing the glare from the overhead lighting while adding soft, bright illumination to the interior.
- CPI Daylighting Structured Translucent Polycarbonate panel assemblies.
- (1) unit(s)-4″ UNIQUAD WALL-LIGHT 10.00′ high x 64.67′ long odc.
- (1) unit(s)-4″ CUSTOM UNIQUAD WALL-LIGHT 10.00′ high x 38.58′ long odc.
- (1) unit(s)-4″ CUSTOM UNIQUAD WALL-LIGHT 10.00′ high x 9.00′ long odc.
- (4) unit(s)-2.75″ QUADWALL WALL-LIGHTS 5.00′ high x 22.33′ long odc.
- (2) unit(s)-2.75″ QUADWALL WALL-LIGHTS 5.00′ high x 22.00′ long odc.
- (4) unit(s)-2.75″ QUADWALL WALL-LIGHTS 5.00′ high x 17.77′ long odc.
- We are working closely with Bryan Construction—scheduling our work to coincide with their construction of the various facilities.
- Correct the daylighting and solar heat levels required for the space.
- Reduce dependence on electric lighting—increase energy savings.
- The City (and taxpayers!) will love the energy savings provided by the new daylighting system.
- Increase the facility’s property value.
- Healthy, natural daylight in the space with soft translucent light and accurate color rendition.
- No required maintenance or re-coating costs—individual exterior panels are easily replaced.
- In work environments, increased daylighting has been shown to increase productivity.