Upgrading Light Quality and Heat Loss/Gain with a Skylight Retrofit
A 30’ diameter, sixteen-sided, white, round skylight still had the original single layer acrylic glazing, no sky view and was damaged by hail. The skylight did not meet current energy codes and we could not bring it up to code because the structure was not strong enough to hold double glazing.
The Skylight Retrofit:
We designed a new skylight retrofit with the same amount of sides, but more segments up the skylight and a slightly higher elevation for better aesthetics. We engineered a new curb that could handle the thrust loads of the new skylight and that was fastened and tied into the roof properly.
The old skylight was manually lifted and temporarily supported while new curbs were constructed. The existing frame was removed and replaced with the new skylight frame—assembled on the roof of the garage—by crane and was completely glazed within 36 hours.
The home was designed with indirect, fluorescent lighting around the perimeter of the skylight. To avoid reflections of the lights on the glass at night, the inside of the curb was finished with white aluminum cladding and a white acrylic lens was designed to cover the lights. We also recommended a white interior frame instead of the standard bronze frame for a more appealing look.
Additionally, at the homeowner’s request, we suspended a seven foot long chandelier and an eight foot sound-deadening “cloud” from the center of the new skylight retrofit—with the wiring hidden within the internal structure. A very dramatic and appealing look.
- Wasco Pinnacle 600 Multi-Sided, Segmented, Polygon Glass Dome.
- Aluminum Finish:
- Exterior – Quaker Bronze Kynar 500
- Interior – Bone White Kynar 500
- Greylite II Solarban 70 XL
- Insulated Heat Strengthened Laminate
- Architect: The original design was by Fran L Meier, AIA.
- The Wasco skylight’s advanced glazing technology ensured that the building envelope was covered by an insulated system that delivers unequaled durability, hail resistance, and daylighting performance. And a sky view!
- The owner loves the energy savings provided by the new skylight.
- All design features of the skylight retrofit were included in the original contract — no change orders.
- No required maintenance or re-coating costs — hail damage is virtually eliminated.
- The home’s property value was increased significantly.
- Corrected the daylighting and solar heat levels.
- Restored the benefits of healthy, natural daylight and accurate colors.
- The owner loves the spectacular sky view.