Worn Out Skylight at Premium Outlets Mall
Premium Outlets has (81) eighty-one stores with (5) five restaurants located near St. Augustine, Jacksonville, and Daytona Beach. The local tourist attraction is Ponce de Leon’s Fountain of Youth, in St. Augustine.
Simons Properties asked us to replace the glass pyramid skylight located over the information center booth. This worn out skylight needed new glass and a new wet seal with silicone. Since they’d had problems with it for so many years, they just wanted it replaced. In addition, the new skylight was guaranteed to meet all building codes, etc.
What We Did:
- We framed the new skylight on the roof prior to removal of the old skylight.
- We removed the old skylight early in the morning and were able to flash the curbs and set the new skylight prior to mall opening.
- The area below the skylight was barricaded, but once the glazing was set then the public had better access to the areas around the skylight inside the information center.
- Wasco Pinnacle 350 Structural Pyramid
- Aluminum Finish: Bone White
- Glazing 1 1/16″ Insulated Glass: Tempered Solarban 60 over Clear Heat Strengthened Laminate
- The new skylight provided better weather protection, was safer and blocked more heat in the summertime for the space below.
- The work was completed with minimum interference to the staff at the mall.
- The public were unaware for the most part that the skylight was being replaced, but noticed the difference afterwards.
- Correct the daylighting and solar heat levels required for the space.
- Reduce dependence on electric lighting—increase energy savings.
- The owners love the energy savings provided by the new skylights.
- Increase the facility’s property value.
- Healthy, natural daylight in the space with soft translucent light and accurate color rendition.
- No required maintenance or re-coating costs—individual exterior panels are easily replaced.
- In work environments, increased daylighting has been shown to increase productivity.
- In retail environments, increased daylighting has been shown to increase sales by as much as 40%.